Tuesday 19 March 2013

Pea Soup

I eat my peas with honey;
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on the knife.
 
Source: The Random House Book of Poetry for Children (1983)

Pea soup is my sister Aisha's favorite comfort food. During the winters it is always nice to have warm liquids; they run through your body warming the very 'cockles of your heart'. Also, this is what changed a certain someones mind about soup completely. From hating the very word soup, he went to asking me to make soup!

The soup is creamy and incredibly garlicky. Although I always use fresh peas for it, you could also use the frozen ones if you don't have the patience to sit and shell them!

Ingredients –
·         200g Peas
·         50g Cheese
·         10g Butter
·         ½ tsp Red Chili Powder
·         5 cloves Garlic
·         300ml Water
·         Salt to taste

Put the peas, chili, garlic and water in a saucepan and boil till the peas are soft and cooked through.Let it cool for a couple of minutes and then pour into a blender. Add the butter on top and then the cheese. Blend the mixture until you have a smooth creamy soup. Add salt to taste; serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment